Loreto College is a large, heavily oversubscribed, sixth form college with over 3,300 students, the vast majority being 16-18 year olds, and over 250 staff. It is a highly successful college, with a national reputation for excellence. At its last inspection, Ofsted awarded the college Grade 1 (outstanding) in every category it inspected. Since 2004, the whole campus has been redeveloped at a cost of some £40m and we now operate from 6 modern buildings occupying over 18,000 square metres. There is also a nineteenth century grade 2 listed chapel & approximately 10 acres of sports fields and gardens.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To coordinate and lead the premises team to cover various areas of responsibility;
- To use performance management techniques to monitor and demonstrate achievement of agreed service levels and to lead on improvement;
- To project manage, supervise and coordinate the work of contractors for all planned and reactive maintenance and small project works;
- To manage a substantial budget;
- To calculate and compare costs for required goods or services to achieve maximum value for money;
- To develop and lead plans for ensuring that the College uses resources in an efficient and sustainable manner including energy and water;
- To assist in planning for future development in line with strategic objectives;
- To manage and lead change to ensure minimum disruption to core activities;
- To direct and plan essential central services such as, security, maintenance, cleaning, waste disposal and recycling;
- To liaise with the security and cleaning contractors to ensure objectives are being met for the provision of those services.
- To liaise with the Catering Manager and the Director of Administration and College Services to ensure that a first class service is provided for all college events.
- To ensure that the buildings and College activities both on-site and off-site meet health and safety requirements;
- To ensure that the College remains at all times compliant with relevant statutory responsibilities;
- To maintain accurate records of planned maintenance and statutory inspections
- To ensure suitable and sufficient risk assessments are completed for all college departments and are regularly reviewed by the relevant staff members.
- To maintain accurate records of all college risk assessments
- To check that agreed work by staff or contractors has been completed satisfactorily and following up on any deficiencies;
- To respond appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise both within and outside normal working hours;
- To prepare documents to put out tenders for contractors;
- To provide written reports as necessary for the Senior Assistant Principal;
- To assist in the development and maintenance of accurate records of college facilities assets and equipment;
- To embrace Loreto's philosophy of customer service to the users of the facilities so that focussing on improving the service provided to them is invariably the starting point for the interpretation and execution of all instructions.
- To prioritise tasks appropriately;
- To deal with and participate in day-to-day tasks such as the set up of furniture for meetings, events and other activities;
- To assist staff and/or students whenever so doing would not delay or prevent the execution of the tasks specified above;
- To be aware of equality and to demonstrate these principles in all aspects of work.
- To understand the college’s Safeguarding and Health & Safety policy and to work within its guidelines
- To maintain a record of health & safety related training for college staff and arrange training courses where appropriate
- To ensure that suitable and sufficient risk assessments are completed for all college trips and visits
Out of hours work
Due to the nature of the work, some out of hours work (evenings and weekends) will be necessary, for example, to supervise external contractors. This will be arranged in advance, unless emergencies arise, with time in lieu offered as compensation.
All Premises staff have a specific and explicit duty to inform Senior Management if they are or become concerned that poor or inappropriate practice or procedures threaten the safety or integrity of all or any part of the college’s activities.
The Estates team will comprise the Facilities Manager, the Deputy Facilities Manager & 3 Full-Time Site Supervisors. Cleaning is provided by a combination of our own staff and an external contractor. In addition Security and Catering are provided by external contractors.
- To undertake staff development where appropriate. Deployment of Staff
- To work as part of a team and to ensure effective working relations. Quality Assurance
- To ensure the effective operation of quality assurance systems.
- To assist with the implementation of College quality procedures including the writing of an annual departmental self assessment report and development plan.
- To ensure familiarity with the department’s aims and objectives.
- To liaise with staff & students, attending meetings of the Student Council when required.
- To be a member of the College’s Health & Safety Committee.
- To liaise with the Director of Administration and College Services and attend meetings of the College Services Group.
- To liaise with relevant external bodies as appropriate (Police and Fire Services, Environmental Health, etc.)
- To liaise with local residents when required.
Marketing and Liaison
- To contribute to the College liaison and marketing activities.
- To link with external agencies as appropriate.
Management of Resources
- To ensure the maintenance of an attractive working environment
- To maintain the asset register and planned/reactive maintenance register
- To manage the various delegated budgets in accordance with Financial Regulations and Procedures.
- To support the aims and objectives of the College.
- To attend meetings as appropriate.
- To undertake any other duties the Principal or her designated alternate may reasonably direct from time to time within the context of the Loreto College contract.
- This Job Description is subject to periodic review and amendment.