Business Assurance Specialist (Fire Health & Safety qualification required)
Established in 2013, NHS Property Services is a property owner, service provider and advisor, helping to shape the estate of the NHS for the future. We have one goal: to ensure the NHS makes the right property choices that enable excellent patient care.
Our portfolio is one of the largest in the UK, comprising more than 3,000 properties with 7,000 tenants across England. At a total value of more than £3bn, this represents about 10% of the total NHS estate.
Our properties range from listed buildings through to award-winning, state-of-the-art integrated health campuses.
Your new role
The Building Assurance Specialist has a key role in contributing to the assurance that the buildings NHS Property Services (NHSPS) are responsible for within the Zone of responsibility are compliant with all building and safety legislation. The main remit will be to undertake inspections as required and maintain good records on each building to demonstrate compliance, along with reactive day to day issues. This will consist of:
- Implementing and conducting audits, assessments and inspection routines, in line with the company’s policies, processes and procedures, supporting the Senior Facilities Services Manager in their surveillance activities.
- Preparing Building Assurance reports, including information on compliance status and performance, internally and for customers.
- Preparing risk profiles of buildings to assist with work planning at building and Zone level.
- Developing and delivering training and development plans to ensure employee competencies are maintained. See Competence Assurance process.
- Actively liaising with customer site teams to ensure the building management and Health & Safety profile of the company is professional and efficient.
- Contributing, as required, to accident/incident, dangerous occurrence and near miss investigations promptly and to a high standard, working with the Zone Health & Safety Specialist and aligned to company requirements.
What you'll need to succeed
Masters level or equivalent vocational/professional qualification or equivalent professional experience in HSE and at least one of the following:
NEBOSH National Diploma Level 6 or equivalent (e.g. BSc in Occupational Health and Safety) / Accredited Security Management Specialist via NHS Protect / Fire Safety Qualification
Areas of expertise also include:
- Expert knowledge and extensive working experience of relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation as well as regulatory agencies (e.g. HSE).
- Proven experience of environmental management e.g. waste and implementing HSE management systems
- Expert experience with a range of different HSE risk and performance management techniques
- Specialist knowledge of legislation, including but not limited to, Fire Safety, Asbestos, Legionella, Gas Safety
- Expert knowledge of the Construction (Design and Management) (CDM) Regulations.
- Knowledge of risk management and corporate governance issues, tools and approaches / strategies.
- Knowledge of limitations of competency and when to ask for competent support e.g. seek support from National Health & Safety Leads
- Significant demonstrable experience in a Fire Safety role
- Implementing policies and procedures
- Use a range of techniques and best practice such as risk assessments, audits and investigations.
- Application of CDM Regulations
Why you should join us
You will have a unique opportunity to work within an organisation that manages an estate of over 3,000 assets and over 6,000 occupiers. Your work with us will be challenging and offer you the ability to be part of the developing strategy to achieve success.
Your performance will drive an improvement in the efficiency of the NHS contributing to the delivery of healthcare premises that meet future needs for patient services.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the urgency to fill this role please submit your CV as soon as possible.