Head of Building Operations
• Work in a fast-paced, creative, non-profit client with building & FM duties
• An interest or knowledge of historical building techniques
About Our Client
We celebrate Shakespeare's transformative impact on the world by conducting a radical theatrical experiment. Inspired and informed by the unique historic playing conditions of two beautiful iconic theatres, our diverse programme of work harnesses the power of performance, cultivates intellectual curiosity and excites learning to make Shakespeare accessible for all.
The Building Operations department is responsible for the delivery of a cost effective, client focused building and facilities management service for Shakespeare's Globe.
This includes responsibility for the main site at 21 New Globe Walk and the buildings owned and operated in the wider Globe campus nearby in Bankside. New Globe Walk comprises two very busy theatres both of which are unique replicas of Tudor and Jacobean theatres built to exacting standards with historic construction techniques and materials.
There is a very busy multi-purpose function space, a bar and restaurant, theatre production workshops and stores and ancillary office space from which Shakespeare's Globe manages its business and global operation. The campus buildings comprise dedicated education offices, workshops and studios and leased education workshop space. There are also two large storage units further afield in South East London.
Visitor numbers to all sites and across all of the activities offered by Shakespeare's Globe are in the region of 1 million per year with visits to the Globe theatre alone accounting for some 350,000 public visits. The site is in operation seven days a week and only closes on two days each year. The site has been open for over twenty years old and with the high volume of use, requires considerable and dedicated maintenance to remain in a safe and operable condition.
The department provides services and support for all of Shakespeare's Globe.
Head of Building Operations - Shakespeare's Globe London
To lead the Building Operations Department liaising as necessary with other departments to ensure that the Globe's buildings and their facilities are maintained in an efficient and cost effective manner, so that they are in an appropriate condition for daily and long term use.
• The Globe Theatre and the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse (in collaboration and consultation with other stakeholders)
• The Under Globe space
• The Swan restaurant and bar
• The Sackler Studios
• Ensure that the Globe's buildings and work undertaken therein comply at all times with the Globe's Health and Safety policies, licence requirements, fire safety requirements and best practice, including any works carried out by contractors or third parties.
• Lead on Health & Safety matters for all activities that are being undertaken working with Head of Production who has a similar responsibility for theatre related work.
• Develop and implement a Building Management policy that meets the Globe's needs; setting out objectives, standards, constraints, working methods and the measures by which success will be addressed.
• Ensure that an appropriate programme of fire safety and Health & Safety compliance checks is in place and that remedial action is taken when necessary.
• Implement a schedule of work designed to manage assets in accordance with the quinquennial review.
• Manage the contractor support arrangements, including mechanical and electrical services and cleaning, to be most efficient and provide both value for money and an appropriate level of cover for the Globe's activities.
• Ensure that where necessary work is done in compliance with the 2015 CDM regulations including ensuring that the roles of Principal Designer and Principal Contractor are fulfilled.
• Ensure that all office service equipment and contracts are managed to provide customer focused services. This includes postage, stationery, water coolers and photocopiers.
• Provide technical advice as necessary to departments and appointed consultants and contractors for the design, operation and replacement of building services and systems.
• Manage a programme of refurbishment and maintenance projects in accordance with agreed plans.
• Manage and develop all mechanical and electrical services, plant and associated installations to ensure that they meet business needs, comply with current legislation and be responsible for all statutory testing, inspection and record keeping.
• Work with the Theatre Department to manage housekeeping issues in the two theatres.
• Liaise with the Theatre Department and consult with the Architecture Research Group to ensure the two theatres are maintained to the highest standard.
• Liaise with contractors, consultants and design teams for major capital projects.
• Development of annual budgets and monitor expenditure within agreed budget limits.
• Develop procedures to ensure and demonstrate value for money is achieved.
• Line manage an on site team of three including ensuring that they have regular one to one meetings and bi-yearly appraisals.
• Be an active member of the Architecture Research Group
• Be a key member of the Health and Safety Committee.
• Be an active member of the Globe's Senior Leadership Group.
The Successful Applicant
Working in this creative environment you will expected to be passionate about the industry, wanting to be 'hands on' with the business. You will need to bring a positive and collaborative approach to Buildings and Facilities Management, engaging with all departments to understand their individual needs.
Ideally, to be effective in this position you will need a strong personality and a certain level of maturity to understand the challenges faced by each individual department.
The staff and visitors to Shakespeare's Globe all share a passion for theatre and in particular Shakespeare and this is something that will be echoed in prospective candidates.
Some of the essential skills required include:
• Experience of working in a busy public facing and fast moving environment
• Ability to manage different stakeholders whilst being robust in upholding legal compliance and appropriate standards
• Experience of line management and working as a supportive team member
• Demonstrable experience managing budgets of a significant size
• Strong knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems, including heating and ventilation, CCTV, sprinklers, fire and intruder alarms
• Knowledge and experience of supervising minor building projects
• Previous experience of managing external contractors and a property portfolio within the construction sector. In particular, experience working within a listed building or heritage site will be an advantage
• Excellent communication skills and a strong customer service focus
• Excellent organisational skills and the proven ability to meet deadlines and expected standards whilst working in a busy environment
• The ability to maintain a calm and focused manner in an emergency
• A proactive approach to identifying potential issues with a solution based approach
What's on Offer
Head of Building Operations - Shakespeare's Globe London
Situated in the heart of Southbank, London, within a short walk to several stations including Blackfriars, London Bridge and Southwark.
This role offers a competitive package circa £50k - £55k pa
25 Days Holiday per year
35 Hours per week although the nature of the role often means that there is an expectation of working additional hours at evenings and weekends for which time in lieu may be granted.
Discount in the Globe shop and onsite restaurants/cafes; free entry to selected Globe Education events; season ticket loans available.
Ref Code: MPHM13959841Z
Apply for Head of Building Operations
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly