About The Institute of Cancer Research
We are one of the world’ most influential cancer research institutes with an outstanding record of achievement dating back more than 100 years. We are world leaders in identifying cancer genes, discovering cancer drugs and developing precision radiotherapy. Together with our hospital partner The Royal Marsden, we are rated in the top four centres for cancer research and treatment worldwide.
As well as being a world-class institute, we are a college of the University of London. We came top in the league table of university research quality compiled from the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
We have charitable status and rely on support from partner organisations, charities, donors and the general public. We have more than 1000 staff and postgraduate students across three sites – in Chelsea and Sutton.
The Estates and Facilities Directorate
The Directorate comprises 76 staff.
Hours / duration:
Full time (35 hours per week), Monday to Friday.
Chief Operating Officer
Directly responsible for:
- Deputy Director of Estates Services
- Deputy Director of Facilities Services
- Head of Biological Services Unit
- HSEQ Manager
Main purpose of the job:
- To further develop and enhance the range of Corporate Services within the sphere of responsibility. Within the context of the ICR’s Strategic Plan, ensure effective planning and provision of high-quality services providing value for money in support of the ICR’s world-class research.
- The Director of Estates and Facilities will ensure, through excellent leadership that the quality of service provision is exceptional and delivered in line with processes of continuous improvement. The role is in place to enhance the ICR’s ability to deliver a world-class environment for staff and students to achieve their organisational and personal goals.
Duties and responsibilities:
To be part of the senior leadership team of ICR:
- Recruit, develop and motivate the Estates Services, Facilities Services, HSEQ and Biological Services Unit teams to ensure the objectives of the directorate and The ICR are achieved and effective delivery of services takes place.
- Lead the development of departmental goals, objectives and systems and establish departmental measurements that support the accomplishment of The ICR’s strategic goals.
- Develop open and productive relationships with executive and senior management colleagues, participating fully in the corporate management of The ICR, delivering operational solutions from FM, estates and Health and Safety.
- Develop strong working relationships with senior research colleagues within The ICR to promote and facilitate safe working environments and delivery of operational solutions to enable effective delivery of science and research.
- Lead and manage senior direct reports to ensure that they are able to act effectively and with integrity.
- Play a key role in articulating, embedding and monitoring the ICR’s vision, values and behaviours throughout the organisation and support the shaping of The ICR as a world class research organisation and higher education institute.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with key collaborators, stakeholders and professional advisers including research institutes, universities, local Council senior staff and Board members and in particular, with the Royal Marsden.
Strategy and Planning
- Lead the development and implementation of strategies, operating plans and budgets for each of the functional areas that reflect the ICR’s strategic plan including Estate Management and Property Services, Facilities Services, HSEQ, Biological Services Unit and Business Continuity.
- Working with fellow Directors, contribute to the development and delivery of corporate and directorate strategies.
- Lead the delivery of large-scale strategic projects in terms of building and refurbishments, working closely with research to ensure the greatest value and efficiency is gained from space across
- The ICR estate. Lead The ICR’s contribution to development of the London Cancer Hub, ensuring a collaborative approach to the planning of London-wide treatment of cancer, working with counterparts across London hospitals and their executive teams.
- Lead the delivery of directorate and operational business plans to ensure services are delivered to time, budget and build quality performance, implementing the processes of continuous improvement.
- Ensure effective systems are in place for monitoring performance against plans and budgets, ensuring remedial action is taken where necessary and the Chief Operating Officer informed of any significant changes.
- Manage the estates, facilities management, health, safety, environment and quality and biological services unit budgets to ensure they are in balance at the end of the financial year and prepare budgets for future years.
- Manage and support the development of new concepts, technologies, services, processes or products to address future requirements, ensuring effectiveness and efficiency and value for money remain of key importance.
- Oversee the management of relationships with external providers of operational services including structural engineers, building surveyors and legal advisors to ensure effectiveness, value and quality of services.
- Managing all areas of responsibility, ensuring compliance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and industry best practice.
- All staff must ensure that they familiarise themselves with and adhere to any ICR policies that are relevant to their work and that all personal and sensitive personal data is treated with the utmost confidentiality and in line with the General Data Protection Regulations
- To work in accordance with the ICR’s Values.
- As a senior member of the Corporate Leadership Team collectively be responsible for the delivery of ICR’s operational strategy, and providing leadership across the Corporate support functions to motivate and drive progress.
- To promote a safe, healthy and fair environment for people to work, where bullying and harassment will not be tolerated.
- To take personal responsibility for promoting an inclusive working environment where diversity is valued and there is zero tolerance of any aspect of racism.
- Comply with the ICR’s Standing Financial Instructions and through the Annual Statement of Risk Management and Internal Control provide adequate assurance on good governance, internal controls, the management of risk and achieving value for money across all areas of responsibility.
- Any other duties that are consistent with the nature and grade of the post that may be required.
Education and Knowledge
- Educated to Degree Level or Equivalent
- Full member of an appropriate professional body e.g. RICS,CIOB, BIFM
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development
- An in-depth understanding of the environment in which the ICR operates.
- Skilled at both the strategic and operational levels relating to both the “big picture” and the detail.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build effective teams that deliver high standards, collaborative working and integrated solutions to complex and challenging problems
- Ability to contribute as a senior leader in the organisation to the corporate agenda and fulfilment of the ICR’s objectives.
- Good influencing skills, with the ability to communicate with impact and be able to convince through personal credibility
- Experience of leadership and influencing of others as a member of the Corporate Leadership Board.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex information with clarity and confidence supported by excellent listening and influencing skills.
- Highly developed oral, written, presentation and negotiation skills, with the ability to develop, communicate and gain ownership for a clear vision and direction
- Experience of operating effectively as a senior manager or director in a field of at least one discipline within the functional areas of the Director role
- Substantial experience in managing people, resources and budget, including financial recovery
- Extensive experience of developing, influencing and maintaining excellent customer relationships
- Extensive experience of project management
- Experience of producing and presenting information at Board level and providing information that is both comprehensive and comprehensible to a non-executive Board
We offer a fantastic working environment, great opportunities for career development and the chance to make a real difference to defeat cancer. We aim to recruit and develop the best – the most outstanding scientists and clinicians, and the most talented professional and administrative staff.
The annual leave entitlement for full time employees is 28 days per annum on joining. This will increase by a further day after 2 years’ and 5 years' service.
Staff membership to the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) is available. The USS is a defined benefit scheme and provides a highly competitive pension scheme with robust benefits. The rate of contributions is determined by USS and details of the costs and benefits of this scheme can be found on their website. If staff are transferring from the NHS, they can opt to remain members of the NHS Pension Scheme.
We offer a range of family friendly benefits such as flexible working, a parents’ group, and a maternity mentoring scheme. Other great benefits include interest free loans for discounted season tickets for travel and bicycle purchases, access to the NHS discounts website, a free and confidential Employee Assistance Programme which offers a range of well-being, financial and legal advice services, two staff restaurants, and access to a gym and sporting facilities at our Sutton site.
For a confidential conversation please get in touch with our engaged consultants at Maxwell Stephens; Peter Forshaw (email@example.com) on Tel: 0207 118 4848.
To apply please send both a CV and a couple of paragraphs on why you feel you are suited to this exciting requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference: MSICR
All direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to Maxwell Stephens.
Closing Date: Friday 9th April 2021