About The University of Cambridge
Founded in 1209, The University of Cambridge has been at the forefront of academic study and research for over eight centuries. The University of Cambridge is the fourth-oldest university in the world. Among their alumni they have 110 Nobel Prize Laureates, 47 Heads of State and 190 Olympic Medallists.
Cambridge is a globally diverse institution and their students come from over 147 different countries.
Mission and Core Values
The University’s mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
The Estates Division is responsible for the planning, development and operation of the University’s operational and investment Estates. It employs 350 people and is responsible for capital and operational budgets in excess of £200m. The Operational Estate is one of the UK’s largest and comprises some 370 teaching, academic and research buildings with a total footprint of 723,000 square metres and an insurance value in excess of £3.4bn. The Non-Operational Estates comprises more than 1000 investment, support and residential properties and the University Farm.
The Head of Estate Procurement will lead a team of procurement specialists delivering the specialist procurement and supply chain management needs of the Estates Division. The scope of procurement activities includes property and projects consultants (architects, surveyors, project managers, engineers and specialist consultants), construction and refurbishment project contractors, maintenance contractors, health, safety and statutory compliance specialists and other facilities management related services providers and suppliers.
The role-holder will deliver effective strategies, plans and activities to source, secure and manage high performing suppliers for the range of Estates Division activities in planning, delivering and operating the University Estate. They will ensure all procurement activities are relevant, fit for purpose, draw on latest industry thinking, tools and techniques, are technology-enabled, and deliver highly effective services that underpin the work of the Division and deliver a high impact on financial and environmental sustainability.
They will have a clear understanding of Estates Division’s purpose, values, and behaviours, and will demonstrate inclusive cultural and performance behaviours to lead procurement resources and activities that support these whilst also aligning with wider University objectives and policies.
The Head of Estate Finance may also from time to time require the role holder to perform other duties appropriate to the grade of the post.
- Extensive experience of developing and implementing procurement strategies for Estates related services and activities within a large and complex organisation.
- Procurement team leadership and development, including objective setting and ensuring high performance.
- Experience of end to end management of complex procurement events in the construction projects and/or building maintenance sectors.
- Procurement and supply chain management in both the public and private sectors.
- Experience in delivering high levels of statutory compliance and health & safety performance.
- Expert negotiator with experience of delivering complex and large-scale commercial solutions
- Comprehensive, demonstrable knowledge of modern Procurement techniques; Value for Money; Whole Life Costing; Process Efficiencies; Internal & External Collaboration; Sustainability Market Testing & Outsourcing Methodology.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills, including ability to engage productively with non-procurement specialists
- Able to work within an environment where ambiguity, change and changing priorities and evolving objectives are a constant
- Excellent communication and stakeholder relationship management skills.
- Ability to lead and work within a team, plan and manage work activities, communicate and prioritise workloads.
- Demonstrable analytical and report-writing skills.
- Qualified to Degree Level or Level 7 Business or Management qualification
- Chartered CIPS with Ethics module
This is an exciting time to join one of the world’s oldest and most successful universities globally.
The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity so If you’re looking for a new challenge and would like excellent benefits, extensive learning opportunities and a stimulating working environment in return for your skills and contribution please apply today.