Our client, one of the world’s leading property agents, have requested Maxwell Stephens to recruit a Senior Engineering Manager to contributes to the management of Health, Safety and Wellbeing for all users at one of London’s most prestigious skyscrapers, with the assistance of the Engineering Manager.
Purpose of the Role
- A client and customer facing role, the Senior Engineering Manager is required to establish, implement and maintain effective management of systems and procedures in the delivery and continuity of service of the Mechanical, Electrical, VT, Public Health and IT Infrastructure Services at this skyscraper, its commercial and retail occupiers and visitors, while protecting and enhancing the landlord’s assets.
- The Senior Engineering Manager will work alongside the Property Director and the wider property team, deputising where necessary.
- Provide strategic technical direction, strong leadership, as well as operational planning and solutions.
- Line managing a Engineering Manager covering MEP, VT operations with a view to providing a world class service.
- A strong communicator they will act as the Managing Agent interface for technical activity with the assistance of the Engineering Manager and be supported as required by the Central Engineering Operations team.
Leadership & People Management
- Demonstrate their ability as a proven leader of people, capable of getting the most out of their multi-disciplinary team comprising of the Engineering Manager and the technical supply chain.
- Understand the mutual and strategic goal for the building and the client.
- Provide outstanding leadership to maintain an exceptionally high standard of service delivery encompassing technical innovation, sustainability and customer focus.
- Develop the Engineering Manager through performance assessments and training, managing his workload through resourcing assessment and developing succession plans.
- Oversee and be responsible for the delivery of technical services operations in the skyscraper through the technical services compliance teams and service partners.
- Oversee and be responsible for the delivery of electrical/technical services operations across the through the technical services teams and service partners.
- Ensure that each TLB technical asset is managed and maintained in a proactive and customer focused manner that is cost effective and reliable.
- Produce and constantly review monthly audit program to provide clear reporting data on supply chain performance.
- Ensure the agreed CAFM system is implemented, reporting functionality is used by all departments and reported monthly in line with business guidelines, with any failures to comply escalated to the Property Director within monthly reporting criteria.
- Prepare and manage engineering service charge budgets and ensure effective budget control including the preparation of relevant specifications, raising orders, instructions, contracts and verifying (processing) invoices are in place and management is always in line with business guidelines and expectations.
- Develop, implement and manage Environmental and Energy Conservation Programmes ensuring optimum usage of energy by utilising the systems available.
- Prepare a program and pathway for review in line with the company’s commitment to net zero.
- Develop, implement, and maintain maintenance strategies and systems for the building, facilities and public realm area.
- By instructing the establishment of a strong Pre Planned Maintenance (PPM) strategy, the use of KPIs, industry best practices and contract management techniques, ensure compliance with statutory obligations, manufacturer’s warranty requirements and obligations set by our client and customers.
- Ensure adherence to, on behalf of the Landlord and occupiers, the technical obligations within the occupier lease agreements.
- Manage all latent base build defects ensuring the information on the defect is sent to the relevant parties until the defect is rectified.
- Ensure that regular meetings are held with the Fabric management team and there is full cohesion on management and projects.
- Support the fabric management team and property manager to deliver the building fabric and ensure the fabric is maintained according to the design specification required and works by the technical team do not compromise this.
- Ensure that all ICT systems including converged network, telephony, local systems at asset level (access control systems, CCTV, desk top PCs etc.) are compliant with statutory and data protection obligations including GDPR and support the business need.
Customer Orientation/Stakeholder Engagement
- Commercial awareness, business acumen
- Work with the wider TLB team to support the client’s events and community programmes from a technical perspective.
- Ensure that good relations with all key stakeholders are established and maintained.
- Advise the Director immediately of any potential threats or reputational damage, major incidents or accidents resulting from an issue with the technical aspects of the building. Report on any tenant related issue or any issue that could or will involve the HSE or EHO.
- Review and assist the with Occupier License Applications.
- Assisting the company’s Central Team in ensuring review and comment on drawings, specification and reports submitted by the Occupiers and advise the company’s Central Team of any impact on base build operations or any technical or lease concerns.
- Liaise with tenant consultants on any technical or operational revisions.
- Monitor tenant fit-out work and liaise as necessary to ensure that work complies with the approved License for Alteration.
- Carry out random inspection of fit-out works and report, liaise on findings, as necessary.
- Ensure all demised M&E contracts are kept and maintained to the required standards, with the assistance of the Engineering Manager.
- Ensure the building has suitable utility contracts in place and recharges are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure strong relationships with the management teams of all site delivery partners and ensure all parties work in a harmonious manner in support of the wider community.
- Site delivery partners include but are not limited to:
- MEP Maintenance partners
- UKPN / SSE
- Telecom and ICT providers
- Utility partners
- Savills Specialist Consultancy teams
- Through the Technical Service managers, develop specifications and scope for each of the specialist contracts and tender in accordance with the procurement procedures and policies.
- Ensure the appointed technical service partners are adequately briefed, resourced and monitored to be effective in the delivery of their services, reporting any occurrences of failure.
- Attend key monthly meetings with Technical Service managers and the associated service partners.
- Review Partners reports and any proposals, liaising with internal departments for guidance and management where required.
- Ensure compliance with all current legislation and recommended standards via the relevant technical service manager.
- Ensure that all statutory inspections are carried out by the due date and manage/monitor progress of actions via external reports spreadsheet attached to appropriate minutes.
- Provide line management direction to the Engineering Manager.
- Develop effective relationships with the key technical stakeholders and supply chain to ensure faults or conflicts can be escalated and resolved in a timely manner.
Health & Safety, Environment and management of Risk
- Have responsibility for Health & Safety and risk compliance for all technical systems and equipment and technically related Environmental policies and procedures and will ensure these are adhered to throughout all levels of the technical services team and that every incident and accident is fully recorded, reported (including to insurers) and investigated and any remedial measures diligently reported attended to.
- Ensure the technical teams achieve full compliance with statutory legislation and ensure that all records are fully maintained and available on the appointed risk management system.
- Review and develop emergency procedures and safe working practices to ensure as far as is reasonably practical, the health and safety of all residents, occupiers, visitors, members of the public, building employees and service providers.
- Ensure that the sustainability agenda is fully embraced with the team and that they are fully aware of the drivers for change.
- A natural leader with industry credibility and track record in a senior Technical Services Management role.
- Able to manage a variety of people both directly and via service partners.
- Able to develop relationships at all levels
- Knowledge of and understanding MEP, Fabric, ICT with a Property Management Environment.
- Experience of working in a mixed-use building and engaging with residents along with other stakeholders.
- Experience of managing critical infrastructure including complex High Voltage networks.
- Strong IT Skills.
- Alterations/Fit Outs experience.
- Ideally holds H&S qualification IOSH/NEBOSH.
- Fully conversant with Electrical installation and current IEE regulations.
- Operational knowledge of critical works and change management systems.