About The University of Cambridge
Founded in 1209, the University of Cambridge has been at the forefront of academic study and research for over eight centuries. The University of Cambridge is the fourth-oldest university in the world. Among its alumni it has 110 Nobel Prize Laureates, 47 Heads of State and 190 Olympic Medallists.
Cambridge is a globally diverse institution and its students come from over 147 different countries.
Mission and Core Values
The University's mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence.
The University of Cambridge has one of the largest estates in Higher Education with an existing 640,000 m2 built space within 360 teaching, research and operational buildings, and further, significant plans for expansion. The operational estate is valued at £2.1 billion (Insurance Replacement Cost, 2015) and comprises a diverse range from Grade 1 Listed buildings to state-of-the-art laboratories.
Estates Division (ED) is responsible for high-level strategic planning, the delivery of major and minor construction programmes and maintenance of the estate as well as a wide range of University-wide services including facilities management, catering, accommodation and security.
Background to The Requirement
The Projects Section is responsible for acting as Client, on behalf of the University and Lynxvale, for the procurement of all new build and refurbishment projects associated with the operational and the non-operational estate. There are, at any one time, over 100 projects in progress with combined value of £1 - £1.5bn and annual expenditure of £150 - £200m.
The role holder will be a member of the Programme Management Office and report to the Head of PMO and Director of Programme Delivery. The role holder will be accountable to both the Director of Programme Delivery and to the Head of Programme Management Office and in a matrix reporting line to the Health & Safety Manager in the central ED Business Support function.
What you’ll be doing
The role holder will be accountable for developing and maintaining HSSE policy and processes for capital projects which meet the requirements of legislation, regulations, best practice and University and ED policies. The role holder will engage with other University Advisers and representatives through Project Engagement Meetings and with other University and ED staff through committees and meetings, negotiate agreements on policies and procedures and provide drafts and templates for inclusion in the Project Delivery Manual.
The role holder will provide training – where appropriate leading to certification (for example CSCS Cards) – and support for all in the Projects Section.
The role holder will implement and manage procedures and processes to monitor and ensure HSSE compliance. The role holder will work with the Projects Section Reporting and Data Officer to develop management reporting tools to meet best practice, and ensure appropriate and accurate information is provided for regular management reports.
- Prior experience of leading the development, drafting and implementation of HSSE policies and procedures in the context of a major construction project programme.
- Prior experience leading HSSE in a large multi-stakeholder organisation.
- Experience of management reporting requirements and of the development of HSSE audit, records and reporting systems.
- Experience of design and management of staff development and training programmes, including staff motivation, encouragement and support.
- Experience of problem solving in the context of project-specific HSSE issues.
- Demonstrable track record in implementing quality standards and systems, with attention to detail.
- Competent negotiation skills and the ability to achieve agreement on HSSE issues in a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
- Excellent communication skills. Both in writing and spoken. The ability to present complex issues succinctly and effectively to wide ranging audiences.
- Proven ability to act as a subject expert, challenging thinking of others to develop high-level and robust HSSE policies, procedures and appropriate outcomes to individual issues.
- Demonstrable problem-solving ability capable of providing appropriate solutions in the context of design and construction of unique and complex technical facilities.
- Awareness of commercial and value for money aspects.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all within an environment with competing interests and also integrate with the Projects Section.
- Results driven, disciplined and hard-working, with a focus on meeting deadlines
- Computer literate (Outlook, Excel, Circle, Word, PowerPoint
- Relevant degree
- Professional Qualification
- Health and Safety membership/ accreditation
This post requires first class interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate with all stakeholders both internal and external to The University of Cambridge at all levels. For success in this role you will also need be a strong team player who uses initiative but with a consultative approach. Holding a strong customer focus you will be committed to excellence in service delivery.
This is an exciting time to join one of the world's oldest and most successful universities globally.
The University of Cambridge is committed in its pursuit of academic excellence to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity so If you're looking for a new challenge and would like excellent benefits, extensive learning opportunities and a stimulating working environment in return for your skills and contribution please apply today.
For a confidential conversation please get in touch with our engaged consultants at Maxwell Stephens; either Peter Forshaw (firstname.lastname@example.org) OR Rebecca Simmons (email@example.com) Both Peter and Rebecca are available on Tel: 0207 118 4848.
To apply please send both a CV and a couple of paragraphs on why you feel you are suited to this exciting requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference: MSCAMHSCPD
All direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to Maxwell Stephens.
Closing Date: Friday 5th February 2021